Police Mid-Management Role
in the 21st Century
Police Mid-Management Role in the 21st Century
This newly developed course, an addition to the Executive Institute’s stellar lineup of core leadership courses, is an intensive 100-hour intermediate level leadership course designed for law enforcement middle managers, as well as supervisors transitioning to middle management positions within their organizations. This course provides middle managers with enhanced leadership abilities and the necessary competencies to manage effectively in response to the ongoing needs of the community and the police organization itself.
Course Content Areas:
- Strategic Communication for Effective Leadership
- Leadership Essentials for Extraordinary Performance
- Management’s Role in Keeping Good People Good
- Leadershape Management Workshop
- Leadership Dialogue: It’s Your Ship
- Contemporary Law Enforcement Leadership Issues
- Measuring Value in Policing: Return on Investment
- Managing Attitudes during Difficult Times
- Strategic Cutback Management: Solution-Focused Workshop
- Social Media Strategy and Marketing
- Managing Media-Community Relations
- Managing Organizational Stress
- Career Mapping: Preparing for the Next Level
Course topics and content may change or be modified from time to time, ensuring that topics are recent and relevant, to address emerging issues impacting policing and provide the most up-to-date information meeting the current needs of law enforcement leaders.
Course Format – The course consists of three traditional classroom modules, Internet-based instructional modules, selected article reviews, textbook readings and writing assignments that will require homework and will be graded. In addition to classroom discussions, this course provides participants with the opportunity to network with law enforcement managers from other agencies. In order to partake in PMR21C successfully, all participants are required to have access to a laptop computer for daily use.
Prerequisites – Applicants must be sworn law enforcement officers or law enforcement support personnel employed by a local, state or federal agency at the “mid-management” level (Commanders, Lieutenants, Watch Commanders) who manage major units or programs, contribute to the development of policy and procedures, are responsible for their implementation, and have authority over supervisory personnel; and Sergeants who have completed the Police Supervisory Role in the 21st Century course, or equivalent training, and have a minimum of 5 years in current rank.
- It’s Your Ship, Abrashoff, M. D., Grand Central Publishing (2012) ISBN 978-0-446-53440-6, this book will be supplied
Dates & Location – PMR21C classroom modules
- Module 1: January 27 – 31, 2020
- Module 2: February 24 – 28, 2020
- Module 3: March 23 – 27, 2020
1033 7th Street, East Moline IL, 61244
Lodging provided. Tuition Free, administrative cost $250
Registration deadline is December 19, 2019 or until the class is full.